Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Monthly Meetings - Proposed Changes

The Doylestown Photo Club is a social organization, but due to the spread of COVID-19 and the requirement to be socially distant, we haven’t had to opportunity to be very social.  At our last Steering Committee meeting, we discussed ways to provide you, our members, with things to do, provide some inspiration, and keep everyone engaged in photography and with the club.  What we have come up with is a potential change to our monthly club meeting format.

What we are considering is to offer two meetings per month.  The first, our usual meeting will be held on the 2nd Thursday of the month.  This will be our in-person face-to-face meeting when we are able to resume at the American Legion and via Zoom until then.  The second meeting will always be a Zoom video conference held at a later date, possibly the 4th Thursday of the month.

There were a number of things that went into this idea:

• We received quite a bit of positive feedback after the April virtual meeting
  • We are able to meet more often without incurring facility rental charges
  • We have found that in many of our focus ring discussions, 30 minutes was not adequate to cover the topic completely and address all of the member questions and comments.

A proposal for the new format would be something like this:

Meeting One – 2nd Thursday of the Month

• Face-to-Face meeting at the American Legion when permitted, via ZOOM until then
  • Meeting begins at the advertised 7:00PM start time

o   If we’re meeting at the American Legion, the time from 6:00-7:00 PM will be social time

• We’ll have announcements, PhotoQuest and the Main Event presentation
  • This being our primary meeting night, this will be the meeting that will feature any guest speakers that have been scheduled.

Meeting Two – 4th(?) Thursday of the Month

• Meeting will be a ZOOM video conference
  • Meeting will be a more in-depth presentation of a technical subject which was previously given during a focus ring
  • The meeting will begin at 7:00PM and run as long as necessary to cover the topic and address member questions, up until the 9:00PM end time.

We will be setting some time aside in the beginning of the May meeting to discuss this with everyone signing into the ZOOM meeting on May 14th.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions that you’d like to share with the Steering Committee before then please send them to us using this Contact Form on the Website or by posting  a reply to this forum thread.

We look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Murray Sterling has reacted to this post.
Murray Sterling

Hi,

I think separating the Photoquest/Main Event/Guest meeting from Focus Ring is a great idea. Many Focus Ring topics deserve longer presentation, and it would be beneficial to have a longer time for questions. Also, having the Focus Ring on a separate evening allows for those who have more questions to hang on, even if others have heard enough.

One key to making the Focus Ring meetings (and the regular ones to a lesser extent) work, I think, is to control how people ask questions. Perhaps require people to use the "raise hand" feature, or the chat feature to ask questions. If what they want to ask requires too much typing, perhaps an individual wanting to ask a question could send a chat to the presenter saying "please call on me, I have a question", or some such language. Otherwise, it will be a frustrating free-for-all. The presenter should also pause during their presentation to ask for questions so they don't get too far ahead of the group.

BTW, if club meetings are going to continue in any form, I think it's reasonable to reinstate dues payments.

Thanks for all you do,

Sue Sherman

Murray Sterling has reacted to this post.
Murray Sterling

Thanks so much Sue -

I hope all's well with you.

That was very valuable feedback and those are good suggestions for managing user participation on the second 'virtual' meeting.

John J

A great big thanks to the Steering Committee for all of the work and thought that you put into the club. It is much appreciated.

I read Sue Sherman's reply and agree and cannot add anything significant to it. As a novice, the Focus Ring presentations are very important to me. So that if we can spend more time on it, I'm in. I can't learn enough.

Thanks,

Murray Sterling

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts Murray.   The Focus Rings are important a lot of our members and that's why we're going to try and make them more meaningful.

Ditto to the thanks going out to the Steering Committee. Everything you do is very much appreciated.

I love the idea of 2 monthly meetings not only for the ability to increase focus ring discussions but to also allow members the ability to "dial in" at least once at month after onsite meetings are reinstated. I traveled a lot (or at least used to) and this is a great opportunity to connect at least once a month. Previously, over the last 6 months, I believe I missed 3 meetings as I was out of town. This is seriously a great idea! Thanks!